Monday, January 12, 2009

2008 Defensive End Ratings

Update 1.14.09: Figured the teams' total defensive snaps into the rating system which then amounted to the following:

TOP 10 4-3 DEs
Justin Tuck.........107.4
Trent Cole..........101.6
Jared Allen.........97.3
Mario Williams......94.1
Julius Peppers......87.7
John Abraham........86.2
Alex Brown..........80.0
Justin Smith........77.9
Robert Mathis.......77.3
Adewale Ogunleye....75.4

TOP 10 3-4 DEs
Richard Seymour.....66.3
Aaron Smith..........64.7
Shaun Ellis...........63.7
Ty Warren.............48.9
Justin Bannan......46.3
Kenyon Coleman....46.1
Vonnie Holliday....44.9
Kendall Langford...42.9
Corey Williams.....41.8
Chris Canty..........41.3

***

Kept changing my mind this year as to who the All Pro defensive ends should be: Justin Tuck, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Trent Cole. John Abraham and Mario Williams weren't completely out of the running either. I came up with a simple little stats-based rating system to help me choose. Cole and Tuck came out on top (tied) and I was going to put them on my team until I found some mistakes with the stat site I used. I reran the numbers with less data and Peppers and Abraham came out one, two (tied actually). When I finally posted my All Pro team the other day I decided on Tuck and Peppers. Subsequently I tracked down the complete, correct stats. Cole comes out on top again. Leaving him off my All Pro team had already been bothering me, even though he doesn't have the double digit sack numbers you usually like to see from an All Pro end, but now I've gone back and changed Peppers out for Cole.

I thought the ratings might be of some general interest so I'll post them here. I didn't run the numbers on every DE. The stats used are: Sacks, tackles for loss, forced fumbles, interceptions, solo tackles, and passes defended.



No comments: